Monday, February 10, 2014

Love Bade Me Welcome

love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back//
guilty of dust and sin.//
but quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack//
from my first entrance in,//
drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning//
if I lacked anything.

"a guest," I answered, "worthy to be here,"//
Love said, "you shall be he."//
"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear//
I cannot look on Thee."//
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply//
"who made the eyes, but I?"

"truth Lord, but I have marred them; let my shame//
go where it doth deserve."//
:and know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"//
"my dear, then I will serve."//
"you must sit down," says Love, "and taste My meat."//
so I did sit and eat.

-Love Bade Me Welcome, by George Herbert

Herbert does such an incredible job of personifying the guilty, ashamed sinner in the presence of His God. Here we see the deep significance of Christ's redemption in bringing us to the Table, and reconciling us with our Lord, the ultimate Host. None of us is worthy, save that He Who created us make us once again fit to be with Him. It is the most perfect gift to be at the Feast of the Lamb, at which Christ is both Food and Feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment