Wednesday, February 12, 2014

a sweet perfume

the world smelled incredible today.

amid weeks and weeks of sub-freezing temperatures (and even some single digits), I had forgotten what the earth actually smelled like. I had forgotten the fragrance of the dirt, and wet streets, and thawed air. Today, standing on a street corner, it was like a new awakening. All of a sudden, as the 5 o'clock setting sun shone warm on my face, I smelled it all. With 50 degree weather came everything I'd been missing for so long.

it's these little specks of grace that startle me sometimes. Here I was, waiting to cross a street, ready to get in my car and drive home, just like any other afternoon. But this time, God woke me up a little bit. He showered on me another remembrance of His love, reminding me that in this gift of a universe, there is not only sunshine and warmth and glistening snow and majestic clouds, but also a sweet perfume in everything- right down to the dirt from which we were created.

He is too good to me, to us. But I guess that's the point.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment